Saturday, February 9, 2013

Blizzard In Portland

I woke up this morning about 5:30 and this was the view out my window.  When I turned on the news they were reporting that plow trucks were not even able to be on the road due to white out conditions.  They stated that plow drivers with 40 years experience were turning around and heading home.  I knew it would be a crazy clean up morning and couldn't wait to get out in it and catch the action!



A few hours later this is the sight that greeted me outside.  I heard that Portland has 29 inches and it is still snowing!


When I went outside there was a plow truck trying to do the drive across the street.  It was like trying to plow a brick wall!




I continued walking and came to Commercial Street.  This is not the sidewalk.  This is the actual middle of the street.  



This guy was cool enough to stop for a picture.  He has a long way before he gets to that car.


Although crews were out and trying to plow there were many places where the roads were just impassable.  I don't mean little side roads.  This is Exchange Street.  A car had started down and found he could no longer continue.  I helped push him back up the street.



Notice how in this picture the sidewalk is significant clearer than the actual road.


My favorite news station out and hard at work chatting up a guy on skis.



Middle Street (and the sign) has seen better days.



State Street-one of the busiest streets in the city is completely deserted at 10am.



Coming full circle-I am home again and this is all the progress the plow truck from the video was able to make.



Lou was intrigued by the view out the window but not at all interested in getting his toes in that snow!


Time for hot chocolate (made with almond milk) Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment