Friday, January 13, 2012

In Recovery

Hello, My name is Jen and I'm addicted to Diet Coke.  Well, at least I was addicted until two weeks ago when I managed to stop cold turkey.  I have been drinking it for as long as I can remember.  I even dated a guy in high school who worked for Coca Cola.  This was only my third time trying to quit in over 20 years.  The first time I was in my early 20's and decided to stop on January 1.  The only trouble was I partied hard the night before and had a massive hangover on New Year's Day.  I didn't stand a chance.  I then tried to quit a few years ago but once the bad withdrawal headache hit I freaked out as, at the time, having really bad headaches had completely screwed my life over and I wasn't welcoming one for any reason.

Which brought me to the end of December when I was able to embrace the huge headache and flu like feeling and it's now been over 2 weeks since I have had my favorite beverage.

I definitely don't consider myself "cured".  I'm not sure how long that takes or if it ever happens.  And quite frankly I really need to see some positive benefits to give me incentive to continue indefinitely.  But just knowing that I could stop was really a good feeling!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I have quit Dr. Pepper many times but have always gone back. I wish I could invent soda flavored water.

    ReplyDelete