Friday, March 11, 2011

Back in the saddle...make that back on the treadmill

I have said all along that I was taking the winter off from running.  Although I had higher hopes that I could continue all season it was just simply too dark and icy to safely and reasonably be able to run.  Besides, by taking time off running I was able to focus my energy on yoga and doing a new and fun group circuit workout.  I feel very fortunate that Martin's Point has a nice, new, clean, well equipped gym and it is free.  Free gym equipment, free classes, free personal trainer.  Love it.
This is the strength training area of the gym.  There is also a cardio room and an aerobic/personal training room.

The gym is called Nautical Mile and it overlooks the water so on a nice day it is easily one of the nicest views in the city.  If I have to be on a treadmill, it helps that they turn out to overlook a nice view.  However, this was the rainy view today:




So, this week I started training again.  I'm starting fresh as a newbie with week one of my couch to 5k program.  So, that means I'm doing a very easy 5 minute warm up followed by 8 intervals of a 60 second run followed by a 90 second walk recovery and ending with a 5 minute cool down.  In 30 minutes I am running a mere 8 minutes.  But it's a great way to ease back in and not get discouraged. Here is my result for week one.  Truthfully, it's a heck of a lot better than I did week one last time around.  And I have 8 weeks of training to go...




No comments:

Post a Comment