Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bathroom Project

Even though I rent and have no monetary incentive to spruce thing up around my home it means a lot to me that the space I live in is a sanctuary of sorts and besides I like to do projects.  The day after I moved in I painted my bathroom a light blue color and added a new shower curtain and accessories.  But a major eyesore remained-the vanity.  It is so old that the ugly brown has faded and looks like someone took heavy grit sandpaper to it.  The hardware is cheap, gaudy and dirty.  Something had to be done.  I had saved an almost full can of paint from when I painted my office space so I already had some paint and with a few bucks spent on hardware I knew I could make a real change.



I got suited up in my painting gear.  I've had these overalls for about 12 years and they've seen a lot of paint.  I kinda like painting although it can take me a while to work up to it but I'm pretty good once I get started.  I've even been paid to paint so at least it's been profitable.



Here is the before picture.  I''ve already removed the hardware so it's actually looking better already.



Here is my work in progress.  The paint color I'm using is called Crocus Petal which is a pale lavender.  It's funny that it went on the cabinets a different color than it looks on the walls I painted with it.  Yes, I was a bit concerned about paining a bathroom vanity lavender.  Especially when the walls are already light blue.  I knew I was walking a fine line.  But it actually went on really pale and it almost looks white if you look quickly.  Then even once you realize it isn't white I think you might spend a moment trying to figure it out.  So, I kinda like that.  Since I knew the walls and vanity were going to be light I made sure to go with hardware that is darker.  That way it provides some balance and grounding.


I'm pretty pleased with the final result.  It took a second trip to Home Depot at 8pm to get longer screws for one of the pulls but overall it was a piece of cake.  I still have a ton of the paint left too so I'll keep it around since I do love purple!








1 comment:

  1. I love the colors and the hardware. It's my dream to totally gut our bathroom so I'll just be jealous of yours.

    ReplyDelete